These days, our smartphones have become a constant and indispensable extension of ourselves. However, they are also notorious vectors of germs. In this article, we’ll show you how to clean your phone’s screen in 5 simple steps to ensure not only optimal use, but also a healthier environment.
Why should you regularly clean your phone screen?
Regularly cleaning your phone’s screen is essential for a number of reasons. Firstly, it helps maintain the clarity and efficiency of your screen’s touchscreen. Secondly, your phone screen is a veritable breeding ground for bacteria. Regular cleaning helps limit the spread of bacteria. Finally, it helps prevent fingerprints from accumulating and spoiling your user experience
By following these 5 steps, you’ll be able to enjoy a clean, clear screen for optimal use of your phone
Step 1: Prepare the tools you need to clean your phone screen
First of all, to clean your phone screen effectively and safely, it’s essential to have the right tools. Here’s a list of the essentials you’ll need
- A microfiber cloth: This is the number-one choice for cleaning phone screens. These cloths are soft, non-abrasive and won’t damage your phone’s screen. They’re also highly effective at removing fingerprints and grease without leaving residue.
- Screen cleaning solution: You can purchase a specific screen cleaning solution, usually non-alcoholic. These solutions are designed to gently clean sensitive screens without risk of damage. If you don’t have a screen cleaning solution, you can also use a solution of 50% distilled water and 50% white vinegar.
- Cotton buds: These little tools are useful for cleaning the nooks and crannies of your phone screen where the microfiber cloth can’t reach.
- Compressed air: This is a great way to remove dust particles from your phone screen without touching it. You can find compressed air cans in most hardware stores for a few euros.
Before you start cleaning, make sure your phone is switched off and unplugged from any power source. This will prevent any short-circuits or other electrical problems. Also remove the casing and any screen protectors if you have one
Once you’ve gathered all your cleaning tools, you’re ready to move on to the next step
Step 2: Switch off your phone before cleaning the screen
Cleaning your phone’s screen may seem like a simple task, but it actually requires a few precautions to avoid damaging your device. The first step, which we’ve already covered, was to gather the right tools. Now we move on to the second step: switching off your phone before cleaning the screen
Switching off your phone is not a step to be neglected. Not only does it protect your device, it also prevents you from activating applications or functions during cleaning
- How to switch off your phone: The method varies from model to model and brand to brand, but in general, simply press the power button (often located on the side or top of the device) for a few seconds until the “power off” option appears. Select this option, then confirm.
- Once your phone has been switched off, remove the casing and any accessories that may interfere with screen cleaning. This step also allows you to clean these items separately.
- We recommend you wait a few minutes before cleaning, until all electrical components have stopped working.
Following these tips will help protect your phone while you clean the screen. In the next section, we’ll explain how to effectively clean your phone’s screen without damaging it
Step 3: Cleaning your phone screen: gentle methods
Keeping your phone’s screen clean is essential for its durability. Here are five simple steps to effectively clean your phone screen using gentle methods
Step 1: Switch off your phone
To begin with, switch off your phone. This avoids any potential short-circuiting during cleaning. What’s more, a switched-off screen makes smudges and fingerprints more visible
Step 2: Remove dust and debris
Use a microfiber cloth to gently remove any dust or debris from your phone’s screen. Rub the screen gently, without exerting too much pressure
Step 3: Prepare a mild cleaning solution
Prepare a mild cleaning solution by mixing equal parts distilled water and white vinegar. This solution is gentle enough not to damage your phone’s screen
Step 4: Apply the cleaning solution
Lightly soak a microfiber cloth in the cleaning solution. Wring it out to make sure it’s not too damp. Then wipe the cloth over your phone’s screen in a circular motion
Step 5: Dry the screen
After cleaning, dry your phone’s screen with another dry microfiber cloth. Make sure there are no remaining traces of moisture, as these could damage the device
Step 4: Things to avoid when cleaning your phone’s screen
Cleaning your phone’s screen is a delicate task that requires special attention. During this process, there are certain gestures you must absolutely avoid to avoid damaging your device
1. Never use household products
Products such as bleach, ammonia or window cleaners can be extremely harmful to your phone’s screen. These chemicals can destroy the screen’s oleophobic coating, which helps repel oil from your fingers
2. Avoid applying too much pressure
When cleaning your phone’s screen, avoid applying too much pressure. This could damage the touchscreen or even break the screen if you’re not careful
3. Do not use abrasive materials
Materials such as sandpaper, scouring pads or rough cloths can scratch your phone’s screen. Instead, use a soft, clean microfiber cloth
4. Don’t spray liquid directly onto the screen
Never spray liquid directly onto your phone’s screen. This could allow moisture to penetrate the device and cause irreversible damage. It’s better to spray the liquid onto a cloth and then wipe the screen clean
5. Avoid cleaning your phone while it’s plugged in
Cleaning your phone while it’s charging can lead to a risk of electric shock or short-circuit. Be sure to unplug your phone before cleaning
Step 5: Protect your phone screen after cleaning
Once you’ve thoroughly cleaned your phone’s screen, the final step is to protect it. It’s a step that’s often overlooked, but one that can extend the life of your device and maintain the clarity of your screen. Here’s how you can effectively protect your screen after cleaning
1. Use a screen protector
Applying a screen protector is probably the most effective protective measure you can take. There are a variety of screen protectors available on the market, ranging from plastic to tempered glass. Tempered glass screen protectors are generally more expensive, around 10 to 20 euros, but offer superior protection against scratches and bumps
2. Apply a protective shell
A protective shell can help protect your phone’s screen in the event of a fall. Most shells have raised edges that prevent the screen from touching a flat surface when placed face down. Good-quality protective covers are generally available from 15 euros
3. Avoid high-risk environments
Try to avoid exposing your phone to high-risk environments, such as beaches where sand can scratch the screen, or bathrooms where humidity can cause damage. If you must use your phone in these environments, consider using a waterproof case
4. Regular screen cleaning
Regular cleaning of your phone’s screen can help prevent the build-up of dirt and grease that can scratch the screen
By following these five steps, you can effectively clean your phone’s screen without risking damage. Don’t forget that prevention is the best solution: try to keep your hands clean when using your phone, and avoid placing it on dirty surfaces. A phone case with a flap can also help protect the screen from dirt and scratches
Having a clean, streak-free phone screen is within everyone’s reach with these five simple steps. With a little time and the right tools, your phone can be as shiny as the day it was purchased. Remember, using the right products and regular practice are the keys to keeping your screen sparkling. And remember, a clean screen is not just a question of aesthetics, but also of health. So don’t hesitate to make these steps part of your cleaning routine, and enjoy a phone that’s always impeccable. Take care of your phone, and you’ll be rewarded!